Native Western New Yorker. Mother. Educator. Lawyer. Cybersecurity Policy Expert.
Ready to Bring Economic Opportunity to NY-23
Tracy Mitrano has the leadership experience, policy expertise, charisma and fire to go toe-to-toe against Tom Reed. The presumptive NY-23 Democratic frontrunner, Tracy has:
- Major endorsements by the Working Families Party and the Women’s Equality Party
- Won all five 2018 NY-23 Democratic straw polls by sizable margins.
- Major endorsements including Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator Elizabeth Warren, former NY Congressman Stan Lundine and elected officials across NY-23
- A strong campaign team and field operation with experience against entrenched Republicans.
- 10+ years local government board and committee experience. Law degree, Ph.D in American History.
In Congress, Tracy will put people first again by fighting for better paying jobs and economic opportunity for the people of NY-23. This starts with:
- Healthcare – Affordable healthcare for everyone including our veterans and seniors who depend on Social Security and Medicare
- Education – Affordable college education with reduced debt and Universal Pre-K/Head Start
- Infrastructure – High speed internet and cellphone coverage
- Environment – Protecting the environment for our children and grandchildren.
Tracy has spent her life in Western and Southern Tier New York. She grew up in Rochester helping her father in his restaurant where she learned first-hand about the importance of community and hard work.
Tracy has deep roots in the region, as well as personal experience with many important issues facing our district. Her older brother is developmentally disabled and blind. As a child, her family nearly went bankrupt paying medical bills when her mother became critically ill. As Congresswoman, Tracy will empathize with NY-23 families who have endured similar struggles. Unlike Tom Reed, Tracy will fight to put the needs of NY-23 first.
The first member of her family to go to college, Tracy graduated with a B.A. from the University of Rochester, received her M.A. and Ph.D in American History from Binghamton University, and a J.D. from Cornell Law School.
Tracy is a registered Democrat and Yates County voter. She is the proud mother of two adult sons.
Tracy has spent a lifetime serving her Southern Tier community. An educator and lawyer, Tracy has facilitated some of higher education’s first-generation information security policies as the Director of Information Technology Policy at Cornell University between 2001 and 2014. Tracy’s expertise is widely recognized in higher education, government, and the private sector. She has acted as an expert for Internet2, University of Massachusetts, University of Delaware, Tufts University, SafeGov, New York Public Library, and many others.
An internet policy expert, Tracy’s significant federal policymaking experience has prepared her to serve as Congresswoman in a district that desperately needs someone who can immediately get to work in Washington to develop legislative solutions to the challenges facing NY-23.
Tracy’s government and policy board experience includes:
- National Institute for Technology in Liberal Arts Education
- EDUCAUSE Board
- New York State Board of Education Task Force on Distance Education
- Tompkins County Legislature’s Broadband Committee
- Tompkins County Library Board of Trustees
- Town of Ithaca Planning Board
Please join our movement to help Tracy put people first again in NY-23.